Sunday, August 14, 2005

My Landlord's Gonna Have a Moo-Cow.
















Do I look like I might have the words "Pet Sanctuary" or "Pound" written anywhere on my forehead? Do I? Sometimes having a heart really sucks. Because, I find myself not wanting to say no. Especially to sobbing 9 year olds.

Here's the story. So, the neighbor kid comes over and knocks on my door tonight. We're in the middle of dinner. So, I go answer the door with a mouthful of food. I'm polite like that. I open the door to a sobbing 9 year old little boy who is talking so fast that he can't catch his breath.

"Hehastafindaplacetoliveormyunclesgonnabreakhisneck!" That translates out to 'He has to find a place to live or my uncle is going to break his neck.' I said "Wait, slow down. What's going on?" and thats when I saw her. Here's this itsy bitsy little dog wagging her tail at his feet. The boy explains that his uncle said that if he didn't find a place for the dog to stay that the said uncle would break the puppy's neck.

I said, "Honey, surely he's not going to break her neck. No one's that mean."

At this point, said uncle comes over to my house, drunk. At the same time, my three year old comes out of the house butt naked. We're potty training him, and clothes seem to severely hinder the process. He won't pee on the floor, but he has no problem doing it in shorts. So, naked he is. Drunk uncle says "You need to make that boy go in and get some clothes on. You'll get a ticket for leud behavior and one for indecent exposure." I said "Uh, bud, he's THREE. We're not going to get any tickets. Especially from the cops around here. I know these guys. So, the boy here says you're going to break this dogs neck if it doesn't have a place to stay."

Drunk uncle says "Yeah, that's right. Mightez well. It'll get hit by a car if I don't." THEN he says "GODDAMNIT. I told you to tell that boy to get in the house and put some fuckin' clothes on!"

I said "You need to get the hell out of my yard. Are you freakin' crazy?! You don't talk in front of children like that! You're lucky my 6'7" husband's not out here or you'd be lying on your drunk butt!"

I told the little boy that we'd take her and find her a home. He stopped crying and said thankyou. I asked him if he was going to be ok going home with that guy. He told me that he's always drunk like that and that he'll just go to sleep. Fine...

So, she's here. I've tentatively named her Mela. I'm pushing for keeping her of course, and Jas is wholeheartedly against it. She's really good. Earlier, outside, (not on a leash) she was in hot pursuit of a cat, and I yelled "Puppy! No! Come here!" and she stopped in her tracks and came back. That, in my world, has the markings of a good dog. Murphy would have had the cat in her mouth and kept running, oblivious to my shrieking screams.

What is she? I think she looks a whole lot like a chihuaua, but if you look at her just right, she sorta looks like she might have some hound in her - like beagle or something. What do you guys think?

If there's anyone here in MI who's in the market for a new pooch that's cuddly, likes kids, likes cats and comes when called, let me know. I'll give her up to a good home, but otherwise, she's staying right here...

That's gonna be a fun fight with the landlord.

8 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm.... you know.... if I didn't alrteady have 5 dogs.....lol...

.... sucker.......

lol

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Erika said...

tell the landlord if you can't keep him ur gonna put an axmurderer in that property of his!!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger mal said...

!@#!@ the Uncle!!! If the kid is always left in his care I would be inclined to call Michigans version of child services. To bad your 6'7" hubby was not around to deflate the jerk a bit.

Cute puppy! I love puppys! Sadly we are both allergic to dogs

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger sdk said...

Dave: What's an extra animal. After the death of your beloved chicken, I think you need something to help ease you through your loss...

Erika: There's a slighhhhht problem with actually carrying that one through...LOL course...I could threaten to rent to a vampire...

Mike: Yes, drunks as parents are never a good thing. Sometime, I'll write a post about some of the shit we went through as kids. I feel for that kid, but he's a strong willed child. He ultimately won that battle. He found a place for both puppies to stay, and proved he could do it. That's very cool.

Mallory: I don't think he lives with the guy all the time. His mother is actually the punching bag woman that was evicted out of the other half of the duplex we rent. His grandparents happen to live next door. I think the uncle is just such a stellar human being that in his late fifties he still lives with and leeches off his parents. This isn't good, but it's better than him being there 100% of the time. The boy plays with my boys a lot, and he seems very sweet. If I see any bruises on him, I'd relish turning their asses in.

Sebmarley: Indeed, what comes around goes around. He'll get his. (and if he ever talks to me that way again or talks that way in front of my kids again, I know just who he'll get it from...)

Mimi: Thanks for stopping by! I agree...I can't stop thinking about that little boy either. He hasn't been over to see my kids today, and I worry about him.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger SassyFemme said...

If you even slightly suspect a child is not safe, pleae report to local child protective services. Let them investigate and determine whether or not he's in a harmful situation. Even if he's not living there with the uncle, if he's being hurt or endangered when he's there, he shouldn't be there. It's better to err on the side of caution. Bruises aren't always seen, btw.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger sdk said...

I did call CPS. I did it this afternoon. There is already a case in progress, and it's already being investigated, and really she didn't give me anymore information.

sdk

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Alexandrialeigh said...

Dachsund (weiner dog), definitely. She has the markings of one -- although I think with the smallness and those ears, Chihuahua might be the other part...

Found you through Bathroom Reading, by the way!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Bathroom Reading sent me.

You're in Jackson? With that adorable AWWWWWWWWW lookit da face dog? Heaven help me, I'm in trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home