Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Just more stuff...

It is 4am. I just got home from the bar (bartending, NOT drinking...) and since I have to be up at 6 to put my six year old on the bus, I'm thinking it's not a real smooth idea for me to go to sleep. Otherwise, there will be a panicked knock on my bedroom door around 9-ish with my six year old saying "Mom! MOM! I missed the bus! I can't miss school!"

I know this because it happened about 2 weeks ago!

I'm running out of time for freakin' everything. Y'all know how much I love my bird. I went to go see him today for the first time in three days. I felt like crap because here he is waiting to see me every day, the poor little man literally has nothing better to do than to beat up on Ruby and wait for me, and I skip THREE WHOLE DAYS of seeing him. Not by choice, mind you...no, no...I picked up two new missing persons cases this weekend, plus bartending, plus hanging out with my kids, plus spending some quality time with the hubster...I know that there's an age old cliche that if we could only add another hour to the day, yada yada yada...but I need like 4. Four hours added to my schedule every day would be freakin' awesome.

So, Rio (the bird)'s visit went good today. I came across an epiphany of sorts with him while we were visiting today. All this time since I've been working with him (and buying him), I've been scared of his beak. So, when I approach him, I do so with caution. You know? Cause, one bite from the can-opener that is his face leaves you with a burning thought that you don't want to experience that again. So, when I approach him, I do so with caution. I have read, re-read and read again everything I can possibly get my hands on regarding Macaws and handling, taming, clicker training, behaviorism...and they all say to approach cautiously and on the bird's terms.

Today, Rio and I were hanging out. He's on my arm. Normally, while in the cage, he likes to play the "Get my toes" game, where you'll say "I'll get Rio's toes! Get yur toes! I'll get the baby's toes!" LOL. So, I decided we'd do this while he was on my arm. So, I started with his toes, then said "Get your beak!" and gently touched his beak. Then I got his wings, then his belly, and after every time I'd get a part, I'd go back and get his beak, just touching it very gently.

He freakin' loved it. All that bird wants is to be manhandled, cuddled, hugged and played with. The only thing I need to be afraid of is if I accidentally hurt him while playing, and then he'll nip, but not necessarily bite.

The other thing I've done for him is to incorporate several pieces of green clothing into my wardrobe. Since he absolutely abhors the color red (every thing I've worn in there red has left with several large holes in it), I thought if I dressed his color, maybe he'd see me more like a playmate and less like something that he hates (example: Ruby, cagemate who is ALSO red). I didn't leave with any holes in my shirt today. Good stuff right there.

Did I already tell you about the trick he learned? He'll sit on my arm, and fall over backwards. So, I thought it'd be funny if I cued him to do it after I said "Bang" and shot him with my other hand's pretend gun. So, now, I'll stick my finger out like a gun and go "Bang!" and he'll drop backward and hang with one foot from my arm. Next step is that I want him to "Put em' up", or rather raise his feathers before I shoot him. LOL I know, I know...I'm a dork. Some people do crack...I do animals.

Mr. DK is really enjoying his job, though he works a whacked schedule. He works 3 on, 3 off, 2 on, 2 off. It's called a C shift or something wierd like that. But, he's really enjoying it and seems to be doing well at it.

We've been really enjoying Heather and Charlie living next door too. Those guys are great. They're fun, they're normal, and we really like spending time with them. I think it's good for Mr. DK to have someone to hang out with on his off time too. They're daughter, Alyssa isn't old enough to play with my boys yet (though we do call her Logan's girlfriend...he's 7 mo, she's 4 mo!) but we seem to spend a lot of time together, and we like it. They're computer/movie dorks too, and now Mr. DK has someone to play Texas Hold em' with!

So...that's the scoop so far this week. It's only Tuesday (technically Wednesday, but it's MY tuesday, dangit!) so it can only get more interesting from here!

sdk

6 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger DBFrank said...

It is a sad state that there seems to be no such things as 'free time' anymore. The activities have expanded to consume our every waking, and some of our sleeping, moments!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Sounds like other than the fact that you are way, way too busy--maybe things are leveling out?? I hope so. When is surgery? And are you and Mr. DK doing OK? The bird sounds like fun!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger chesneygirl said...

So glad to see a new post! :)

That bird sounds like so much darn fun!! I never realized birds could do the stuff you write about!

Glad everything else going well.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Erika said...

We missed ya over here!! Good to see you're still doing ok. Maybe someday somebody'll figure out how to add hours to a day....when they do they'll be gazillionaires!! Hang in there...keep us posted!!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Erika said...

oh, and btw, when is ur surgery going to be?

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger thewriterslife said...

I'm there with ya...wish there were more hours in the day! And that bird sounds like he's so much fun! I have a parakeet who won't even let you pet him. Or her. We haven't figured that part out yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home