Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Freakin' FINALLY.

My husband and my little brother have both decided to do the unthinkable. Both are going back to college this fall. And, might I just add...thank God for that.

Mr. DK went to college on a basketball scholarship for a few years. He didn't finish, and he majored in Basketball. Interestingly enough, there aren't a whole lot of careers that actually look at Basketball as a real major, unless you're talking about the six figure kind, and since I married a big, tall white guy and not LeBron James, the six figure career is a tad out of reach. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's 6'7" and more than able on the court. But, unless you're some sort of backboard breaking God, your chances of actually making a six figure income in a sport career are pretty much nill. And, since he'll probably see his name and decide to read this, I will mention that he did indeed break a backboard, once, during a dunk in high school. There. Now you know, and I won't get bitched at for withholding evidence.

Cj, my little brother on the other hand is pretty far behind. He's 24, and spent 3 of the last 4 Christmas's in a cell, celebrating Christ's birthday with guys with names like G-Money and Blade. We always get fun calls (at like $4.90 for the first minute and 1.99 for each minute there-after) from the county correctional institution, and the collect name that the caller records for us to hear is always "Momhadababyeetsinjail!" That's jackass for "Cj". He's always telling us what great plans he has for when he gets out, and how his law breaking days are over, and how drugs are a thing of the past and how life would be so much simpler if I'd just kick him in the ass once in a while.

This time, he's actually carried through with it. Yesterday, my little boy (brother, LOL) registered for his first semester of college. You know, the most fucked up thing about the whole scenario is the kid always had a 4.0 gpa. He didn't have to study for extended periods, or cram for tests or slave over papers. It all came very easily to him. His senior year, two months before the last semester was over, the moron dropped out of high school. He actually obtained his GED while he was in the clink. I mean, I'm glad he did, but for the love of Christ, two months before graduation, he dropped out. His brain cells were smoked into oblivion, I think.

Cj had a lot of problems. I'm sure you've seen me allude to it here and there throughout my posts, but my mom was murdered in 1997. That would have made Cj 15. Cj is under the delusion that he could have done something to prevent it, or that he should have been there to protect her. During that time, I actually had custody of him, and he was living up in Traverse City with me. That's about 300 miles from where my mom lived. I had custody because she was making bad decisions, she was drinking unfathomable amounts of alcohol and she married the asshat who killed her. Anyways, long story short, Cj has been fucked up every since.

So, I'm happy. So happy, I'm giving him one of my laptops and a printer for school. And, Mr. DK already has most of his credits. He's entering an Electrical Engineer program, and will have a degree sometime within the next two semesters. That's just good stuff.

sdk

8 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Yay for Mr. DK! If I can chuck it all and go back to school at my (middle) age (My God, that hurts to say), anyone can do it. Not necessarily chuck it all, but go back to school :) Sounds like a good thing for your family.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

And wow, I had missed the part about your mom the first time. You've really been through it with the family- it is AMAZING that you seem to have your own head on so straight. God bless CJ- no wonder he's screwed up. Hope he gets it together.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger chesneygirl said...

GOOD FOR YOUR HUBBY and BROTHER!!! My hubby went back to school 3 years ago...it was very hard for him and still is but I do everything I possibly can to encourage and support him everyday...it's a rough ride sometimes but in the long run it is SO worth it!!!

Hopefully a learning environment will be the answer to turning your brother's life around....I really hope so! :-)

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Congrats to both of them!! and I never knew basketball was a major...go figure!!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger sdk said...

LOL...well, it's not really a major. I say that was his major because the only thing he wanted to do was play basketball, and there really wasn't rhyme to his class schedule because he seriously and literally thought he was headed for the NBA. So...he has a lot of general ed credits, which is good because that's what he needs to enter the electrical engineering program. He's only got two semesters of that ( I think ) and then he's all done.

sdk

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sublime said...

That is GREAT to hear! I also have a brother that has never been able to get his life together until recently. This post brings up all those feelings about him.

Good luck to them!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Pirate said...

maybe they can cheat off Tommy Lee.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger 4evergapeach said...

That is wonderful to hear about hubby and little brother! I wish them both all the best.

My dad and brothers all played basketball. Dad played in college as did my brother and sister who both got scholorships. Sister played with GA State. Although none of them continued with basketball as any kind of a career.

Truly wonderful to hear about the change your brother appears to be making in his life. I'm sure you are very proud of him! With your encouragement and support I'm sure he'll do just fine.

I didn't know about the circumstances concerning your mom. I am so sorry to hear about that. You've been through a lot and come a long way and set a wonderful example for your brother. I will keep you all in my prayers. ~~~~~~Take Care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home