Friday, September 09, 2005

Michael Brown...You're a Dumbass.

For those who don't know who Michael Brown is, you will soon, unless of course you live under a rock or are somehow oblivious to what is going on around us.

Michael Brown is the current (at least as of this writing he is) FEMA Director. Nominated by George Bush himself, Michael Brown took over the position as FEMA Director in 2001. Time did a little investigation on him after he royally fucked up the Katrina situation, and came out with some interesting information.

His resume....fudged. 90% of it was pure bullshit. His online resume shows that he received an outstanding professor award...a call into the school said that while he was never a professor there, he was a student...

He wrote that he was the Director of a nursing home. A call put into the Nursing Home staff said they didn't have a board of directors anymore, and hadn't had one for the last 5 years, but even so had never heard of Michael Brown's name.

Ok. I'm not one to criticize in a situation like this. But, BUT...WHAT THE FUCK IS OUR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THINKING?!

At this point, I am more qualified than he is to head up the entire Katrina catastrophe.

So here we are in the wake of the nations biggest natural disaster in 50 years, and we've got a wanker in charge of it all.

As of 1:28pm this afternoon, he was relieved of his Katrina duties in Baton Rouge and was on his way back to DC. Thad Allen, the Coast Guard Vice Admin was stepping in to take over. So far, his resignation hasn't been received nor asked for...but it had BETTER be on it's way.

Now, here's my personal thoughts on this. I've had about as much as I can take on this whole thing without blowing a gasket. So, I present...my gasket.

Before 9/11 FEMA was able to pinpoint what the three major disasters in the US that would leave us vulnerable and demolished were: 1) A terrorist attack in NY. 2) A major hurricane in NOLA and 3) A Major Earthquake on the San Andreas Fault in California.

2 of the three things have happened. There's an 80-90% chance of the third happening before 2024. So, why aren't the officials and powers that be making sure that they're ready for when it does? I read reports yesterday that NOLA's people (officials/government) knew. They were given government funds to fix and ready their buildings for such a tragedy. But...BUT...they didn't use those funds. Instead 75-90% of the people received extensions on their deadlines for readying their buildings until 2006-2008.

Everyone (including myself) keeps saying that the officials are heartbroken etc, and we need to hold off our criticsism until after we've had a chance to survey the damage. But...(and walk with me a second on this one) since they're too busy talking about what needs to be done and not doing it, and not keeping me otherwise occupied, I've got plenty of time to think about and mull over WHY I'm pissed at these people.

It's the mayor's and the governor's JOBS to make sure that these things happen. If I receive a grant for a specific purpose, I HAVE to use the money FOR that purpose. Why the hell is the governor or the mayor any different?

Then, FEMA...and their gigantasaur fuck-up, Michael Brown...are you kidding me? Those people were sitting ducks. We had enough time to get everyone safely evacuated, and the crews should have been there the next morning for continued evacuation, search and rescue and search and recovery. But, that didn't happen. Instead, looting and riots and all this bullshit happened.

And, while I'm ranting, lets talk about the evacuee shelters in other states. Let's talk about the one right here in Michigan. Our evacuees are tax-paying voters. Citizens of the United States. They are being treated like prisoners, and THAT'S pissing me off. Jennifer Granholm was at the Fort day before last right here in Michigan. The woman came an hair from getting a piece of my mind. She seriously has nothing better do do than to sit on top of us and make sure that the evacuees only get one toothbrush, not two. One washcloth, not two. She's not utilizing her resources to reach the end goal, she's keeping us busy with mundane bullshit and condescending us with smiles and pats on the back as if we're stupid enough to fall for her shit.

And, I learned last night that our evacuees aren't allowed to leave the Fort. Why not?! Are they in danger of finding a job, an apartment and possibly life outside Jenny's little thumbhold? If anyone told me I had to stay in an area after they'd moved me across the nation from my home, family and everything that was natural to me, and then told me I couldn't leave...I'd be knocking someone out.

There.

sdk

4 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I've been appalled at the fact that so many evacuees are being effectively held hostage- and did you hear about the idiot HOA in Florida that told its homeowners they couldn't take evacuees in?? Who ARE these idiots. Glad Brown is out. I really wonder how in the hell someone gets hired for that kind of position without someone checking their credentials!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

And BTW- NOT feelin' too good about things out here living on that San Andreas fault line, waiting for #3 to happen...

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

I've always wondered if Grandholm was playing with a full deck--now I know for sure that she is not.

And I thought Tommy Thompson was a crappy governor (in WI).

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Mad Munkey said...

I'm sad to admit that I quit watching and following what is happening. I have a friend that lost his home, pet and business in NOLA. Hearing from him everyday is heartwrenching enough. I asked my boss if my company would consider letting me use my skills pro-bono to help. (I'm a designer/art director. I have a lot of information design experience (a skill these people need). I'm also a phenomenal contingency planner. I was told no. If I could afford it, I'd quit my job and go, but I can't. I will find a way to help. It just might not be today. Is that a bad thing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home