Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Excrutiating Pain

Yesterday, I woke up with a migraine. I am prone to migraines, but I don't get them often, and when I do, I've learned how to cope so that I can still function to some extent. But, yesterday, it was absolutely horrendous.

I'm not normally the whiney type. I mean, I whine, but not about pain. I whine about things like my computer connection not being fast enough, or that I have to use the company cell phone instead of my own...you know things that I could do something about if I weren't so damn lazy.

But, yesterday the pain I felt in my head caused an excessive amount of whining. I sometimes have blackouts caused by a heart disease called Vasso-Depressor-Discopy. I have no clue what that really means, but for me it means that my heart doesn't pump enough blood to my brain sometimes. So, I blackout, fall down and then my head is on a level playing field with my heart...in other words, the blackout is a safety mechanism that knocks my butt out so that my brain is level with my heart, thus causing my heart to not have to pump so hard to get that blood up there.

Where was I going with this? Oh! I remember. So, sometimes, after a blackout or a near blackout, the back of my head (like where the head connects to the spine - in the neck area, but high on the back of the neck) my head will throb very painful throbs. But, generally after a blackout, it's only a few pulses of that pain and it's over with. Yesterday it just pulsed and pulsed and pulsed and...it never went away.

At 4:00 I took two 500mg Hydrocodone pills that were leftover from my C/Section in March. (I'm not meant to take recreational or prescribed drugs. It's just not in me. I have like 3 refills left on that script, and there are now 5 pills missing from the original prescription). Drugs make me ill. Any drugs. Once, when I was 19, I smoked marijuana with my little brother and passed out in the driveway for 3 hours. See...just not meant to do such things. Anyways...so I took those two pills (vicodin) at 4. It took the edge off it a little and caused me to stop throwing up for a good hour. Not that there was anything left to throw up, I had the dry heaves for hours.

At 6 (a mere two hours later) the pain was back with full force, so I took another one. That didn't even touch the pain at all. I tried and tried to go to sleep. But, with the dry heaves, feeling like your lying in a lava pit, and feeling like if you had a button to spontaneously eject your head from your body, you'd be using all your body weight to heave on that button...it just wasn't happening.

I ended up taking my pillow, my puke-pan and my cold wet washcloth (to drape over my eyes) downstairs with the intent of lying on the floor next to Mr. DK so he could make me feel better. I took my pillow, pushed it up against his legs (he was lying on the floor playing PS2, which by the way now works again after Sam #2, 3 year old, put Febreeze in it last week...and almost got written out of the will over it.) and said "Honey...make me feel better." Do you know what he said to me?

The insensitive ass said, and I quote: "I could punch you in the face, and you'd be knocked out, thus feeling no more pain..."

I then promptly starting puking again, and after I was done hurling, I actually wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, turned, glared at him and wiped my hand on his shirt. And that in my world is pretty good retribution. He's got a vomit phobia. Everytime the kids hurl, he's always nailed, and this makes me smile. Now I have officially contributed to his phobia. ***Warm Fuzzy***

I'm feeling a bit better today. I was able to catch it in time today. I woke up, it started to throb a little so I gave myself a shot of Imitrex in my upper thigh. Imitrex only works for me if you get it before the migraine takes full effect.

On a different note...#1 is in the livingroom playing Spongebob on the PS2. I hear an "Awww Shit" leave his little lips. I then hear Mr. DK say "Excuse me? What did you just say?" "I said Aww shoot." "No you didn't. You said Aww shit. Didn't you?" "Yes. I'm lying. I said what you said." "What word did you say?" "FINE I SAID SHIT."

Guess who's grounded from the PS2 for the next 24 hours?

sdk

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Smart Aleck said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Urgh, I've had one of those three or four times in my life...and they SUCK!! lol about #1...our big joke around school is when some1 says shit to yell DON'T SAY SHIT...its working kind of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home